Saturday, June 20, 2020

Mother Nature Cuts Davenport Speedway Short

Davenport, IA (Friday, June 19, 2020) - My 2020 racing season has been very limited, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. So far I have only taken in seven nights of racing, six of those were at the track I work at weekly. The other night was when a friend and myself took his two boys to Knoxville, Iowa last Saturday to take in the World of Outlaw Sprint Car show.

With the weekly track I work at canceling early due to mother nature, I decided to make the one hour drive north to take in a weekly night of racing at the Davenport Speedway in Davenport, Iowa. For the fourth time in five weekly events 125+ cars signed in for competition. On this night 35 SportMods, 31 Modifieds, 21 Street Stocks, 16 Late Models, 15 4-Cylinders, and 9 Midwest Jalopies made up the 127 cars signed in.

Shortly after hot laps were completed the 15 scheduled heats races begin. The track was fast, which helped to produce two, three and even four wide racing in the heats. But as the night went along the skies southwest of the track started to darken. A quick look at the radar showed heavy rains heading right towards the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds. Just as the first of two Modified B-Mains hit the track it started to sprinkle. So I decided to head for the car. Which was a good idea, because just after I got in the car the skied opened up and poured on the grounds.

Just some of the two, three and even four wide action shots from the Davenport Speedway.








From a press release I received they called the show complete last night, since all heat races were completed. An announcement on when the make-up features will be held will be announced on their Facebook page and website.

The Davenport Speedway has a busy two nights of racing next weekend. It will begin on Thursday, June 25th, as the MARS Racing Series kicks off a three day swing at the track. The open Late Models will battle for $5,000 to win, with the IMCA Late Models joining them. Then on Friday, June 26th The Sprint Invaders will join the weekly action, with the exception of the IMCA Late Models, as they will have the night off.

Notes: I can see how and why the Davenport Speedway beats the 10:30 PM curfew they have, even with the large amount of car counts that sign in on a weekly night. Once the action begins they push them through at a fast and efficient way. Which shows they have a great crew put together, and they also get the co-operation from the driver's to be in staging and ready to go for your race.

I would like to say THANK YOU to Ricky and Brenda Kay, and their entire crew at the Davenport Speedway for the great hospitality. I am not able to get up to Davenport very often, but whenever I can they always welcome me.

My Saturday plan is to take the night off, as the family is getting together to celebrate my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. But on Sunday I may make the hour trip back north to take in the 1st Annual Burt Peterson Memorial show at The Bullring at the Rock Island County Fairgrounds. It has been several years since I have been up there. So I look forward to returning, with the Peterson family taking over as promoters this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment